Back in the summer of 2015, I decided to trash my website and rebuild it from scratch on top of Jekyll, a static site generator.
My goal was two-fold:
- Build a new, fresh website to house my personal brand.
- Learn the Liquid templating language.
I found a starter theme, gutted it, and spent a week digging in to how Jekyll works in order to build the features I wanted. Along the way I built out some tools and templates for myself and decided to share them on Github.
The collection so far:
- A template for adding social metadata (Open Graph and Twitter Cards) to posts and pages
- A template for adding Disqus comments
- A template for listing posts by tag
- A posts heatmap calendar
- Options for Search on a Jekyll site
- A template for filtering categories with Isotope
- A Jekyll Collection template for Book Reviews, complete with star ratings
- Moving your Jekyll Site to Amazon S3 and Cloudfront with Outside DNS